Faculty and staff can use Microsoft SharePoint 2010 to manage projects, build collaboration portals and websites, post and manage files and documents, share calendars, and access online forums and shared resources.
IT services provides SharePoint sites to departments and registered student organizations at no charge. Some highlights of SharePoint include:
- Calendar, email and task management through SharePoint or Exchange
- Email and calendar sharing
- Permission settings to allow groups or individuals varying levels of access to specific content
- Approval processes to control what is published to the site
- Project management with business logic and workflow
- Document versioning to track changes made by multiple users
- Data collection from Web forms or surveys
- Document, picture and multimedia library creation, including streaming video
- Wiki sites, blogs and social contact pages
Some examples of uses for SharePoint include:
- Project and reflection sites for travel abroad, service learning, internships or independent study experiences
- Repository and archiving sites for paperless management of proposals, presentations or documents
- Research and collaboration sites for national or international projects
- Interactive graphical sites for displaying data and multimedia at conferences or as course presentations
- Organizational sites for committee collaborations or management of complex projects
SharePoint integrates seamlessly with Exchange, InfoPath, OneNote, Word, Access and Excel. Graduate assistants accessing a password protected SharePoint site must log in with a firstname.lastname@example.org Exchange email address (@email.uark.edu logins are not accepted).
The SharePoint server is backed up by a centralized recovery system, allowing for reliable and consistent service.
For an in-depth SharePoint trial or to request a site for your department, use the SharePoint Request form.
Faculty and staff can submit a UARK Profile Photo. The photo is displayed in SharePoint, Outlook, Outlook Web App and Microsoft Lync.