Get Started with Active Directory Organizational Units
An Active Directory Organizational Unit (OU) allows you to manage security groups for access to resources, organize workstations, and apply group policies to workstations and other devices.
Create Departmental OU
To create a departmental OU, submit a ticket with the subject "Create Organizational Unit for my department."
IT Services will contact you for the necessary information to complete your request. If your department has an OU, the existing OU admin can create a new OU within the departmental OU and grant access to it.
Once your OU is created, install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows.
To create and manage security groups, ensure you are logged into a computer that is joined to the uark.edu domain and that you have permissions to create groups. Please see your OU administrator for details.
- Open the Start menu and search for Control Panel. Press Enter.
- Select "Programs and Features."
- Click "Turn Windows features on or off."
- Expand "Remote Server Administration Tools" by clicking the plus (+) icon.
- Expand "Role Administration Tools."
- Check the "AD DS and AD LDS Tools" box. Click OK. Click Close.