Managing OU Security Groups in Active Directory
Manage security groups and members for Active Directory Organizational Units.
Add a Group
- Open the Start menu and search for "Active Directory Users and Computers." Press Enter.
- Navigate to your OU.
- Click Action, then New, and then Group.
- Enter a name for the group.
Note: IT Services strongly recommends that because group names are domain-wide, they start with the four-letter department code followed by a dash and the basic description. For example, within the domain, there can be a group named "wcob-techs" and another named "vcfa-techs," but only one named "techs."
- Keep the default Global Security options. Click OK.
- Double-click on the group in AD Users and Computers. Click the Security tab, and click Add.
- Enter "gacl\UARKusername," where UARKusername is the member's username. Click OK.
Note: It might be necessary for a user to log out and log back in again to access group resources.
- Grant group access to a resource by choosing the object's Security tab and entering the group name as "gacl\groupname."
- Right-click the group and select Properties.
- In the Security tab, click the UARK username to remove.
- Click the Remove button. Click OK.