Host records consolidate DNS, DHCP and IP address information in single place. A single host record is equivalent to creating A, PTR, and CNAME resource records for an IPv4 address. Host records should be used to provide a static IP to a system.
All changes to records in Infoblox go through a workflow approval process to ensure data integrity.
When you create a host record, you are specifying the name-to-address and address-to-name mappings for the IP address you assign to the host. The Infoblox DNS server then uses this data to respond to DNS queries for the host. When the server receives a name-to-address query, it responds with an A record for an IPv4 host or an AAAA record for an IPv6 host that contains data from the host record. Likewise, when it receives an address-to-name query for the host, it responds with a PTR record that contains data from the host record. If you specify an alias in the host record, it uses this data as a CNAME record to respond to queries with the alias by mapping the alias to the canonical name and responding with the canonical name and IP address of the host.
- Log into Infoblox at https://ipam.uark.edu with your UARK username and password.
Note: VPN is required for accessing Infoblox, even when on campus.
- Click the Data Management tab.
- Click the DHCP tab.
- Select the network you will be adding the host record to.
- On the right, there is a plus (+) sign with a down arrow. Click the arrow and select Host.
- The “Add Host Record Wizard” will pop up. Click Select Zone.
- In the Find text box, enter “ddns.uark.edu” and click Go.
- Select the correct zone in the results pane.
- In the Name field, enter the host name.
- Click the arrow next to the plus (+) sign.
- If you know the IP, click Add Address.
- To have the system populate with the next available IP, click "Next Available Address."
- Click the MAC Address field and enter the MAC address of the device. You may need to reformat the address by replacing (-) with (:) dividers.
- Check the “DHCP” box to make it a DHCP reservation.
- In the Comment section, provide a description of the machine and/or location. More information is always better.
- Make sure the “Disabled” box is left unchecked.
- Click Save & Close and then enter a comment in the dialog box. This gives additional information to the individual handling workflow approvals and is a required field.