Faculty and staff working with sensitive information on university computers—such as student or personnel records and credit card information—must comply with Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 309.5. IT Services recommends that Identity Finder searches are run periodically to ensure that computers do not unnecessarily store personally identifiable information (PII).
Install Identity Finder
- Download the Identity Finder installer for Windows and log in with your UARK username and password.
- Double-click the file to install.
- Download the Identity Finder installer for Mac and log in with your UARK username and password.
- Open the Setup. Click Continue and then click Install.
Perform a Full Scan
- Connect any external storage that should be included in the scan (file shares, external hard drives, thumb drives, CDs or DVDs) to your computer. Disconnect any file shares or storage devices that should not be included.
- Open Identity Finder Enterprise Edition from All Programs in the Start menu.
- Click Continue Search Mode. Click Next.
- Under AnyFind Searching, confirm that the Credit Card Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, Social Security Numbers and Passwords boxes are checked.
- Under AnyFind Worldwide Searching, select Yes if you are likely to have PII from specific
countries stored on your computer. Click Next.
Note: If you choose to search for non-US identification numbers, the "Automatic Searching Using AnyFind Worldwide" window will appear. Select additional countries and identity types.
- To add personal information to the search, click Yes and Next. If you clicked No, click Next and continue to step nine.
- Enter PII. Click Add to move it to the OnlyFind Include List.
- Ensure the options Files and Compressed Files, Browsers, E-Mails and Attachments, and Windows Registry are selected.
- Under File Locations, select My Documents and Settings, My Computer, or Custom Location.
- Review your selections. Click Back to make changes. Click Finish.
- From the "Search Summary" window, click Wizard to view your results and choose an action.
Scan a Custom Location
- From the Locations menu, click Custom.
- To select a location to scan, click the ellipsis (...) and browse to the location or enter the location's path next to Folder.
- To exclude a location from the scan, check the "Add as Exclusion" box.
- Select a location. Click Add.
Shred Sensitive Data
To permanently delete sensitive data after a running a scan, select the file(s) in the results list and click Shred.
- From the File menu, click Save or Save As.
- Name the file and select a location from the drop-down menu next to Where.
- Enter and confirm a password for the file. Click Save.
- Identity Finder only scans the Documents folder by default. Open the Locations menu to choose specific folders or your entire computer.
- Depending on the number of documents, scans can take several hours. To avoid interruption, adjust your computer's sleep settings before beginning a scan.
- Contact your department tech support for assistance using Identity Finder.