Setting filters for spam or other messages in UARK Gmail or the Office 365 Outlook Web App (OWA) allows you to indicate which messages you wish to block or redirect at the server level (server-side filtering) before you check email, making these filters effective regardless of the computer or email application that you use. Server-side filtering can be especially useful for controlling spam.
Office 365 provides server-side filtering with Microsoft Exchange Online Protection (EOP). Microsoft EOP inspects messages for malware and uses rules to filter out messages sent from addresses known to distribute malicious email, as well as messages containing content similar to other spam messages. Gmail processes and filters spam sent to students at email@example.com addresses.
Phishing attacks are often successful because an email contains a link that appears to go to a trusted site, but actually redirects to a form designed to collect your personal information and passwords. In addition to Microsoft EOP, faculty and staff email is also routed through ProofPoint, a server-side filter that examines messages for malicious URLs and other phishing tactics. When ProofPoint identifies a suspicious email with a link, it tests the link and determines if it is safe before making it available to you. ProofPoint also tracks the use of potentially malicious links and blocks them.
Web-based UARK Gmail automatically filters most spam. To create a non-spam filter from within a message:
- Click the down arrow next to Reply.
- Select "Filter messages like this."
- Enter your desired filter criteria in the fields provided.
You can create an unlimited number of filters, but the maximum amount of filters allowed for forwarding to other addresses is 20.
Faculty and Staff (outlook.office.com)
Exchange Online automatically filters most spam. Use the Office 365 Outlook Web App (OWA) to create server-side email filters (inbox rules) for your faculty or staff mailbox. Rules are enforced in the order they appear in the Rules list. Previously turned off rules using Outlook will be deleted when modifying rules using OWA.
To create a non-spam filter:
- Log into outlook.office.com with your UARK email address and password.
- Click the Settings gear icon in the top right. Under the header "Your app settings," click Mail.
- From the menu on the left, click "Inbox and sweep rules" under Mail.
- Click the plus (+) icon to create a new rule.
- Enter a name for the rule. Add one or more conditions, rule actions or exceptions.
- Indicate whether the rule should stop processing more rules. Click OK.