Transfer UARK Gmail to a Personal Gmail Account
When a student leaves the university, their UARK Gmail account will be deleted. Students can transfer their UARK Gmail account inbox to a personal Gmail account.
WAIT! Before transferring a UARK Gmail account to a personal Gmail account, the personal Gmail account must already exist.
- Important: Before getting started, you will have to set an IMAP password for UARK Gmail (not the same as the password used to log into UARK Gmail). Log into Password Manager and click the IMAP Password link to set it.
- Log into your UARK Gmail student email account with your regular UARK password.
- Click the gear drop-down and select Settings. Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. In the POP Download section, select the radio button to Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded). Click Save Changes.
- In Settings, click the Accounts tab then Google Account Settings. When the My Account
tab opens, click Connected Apps & Sites in the Sign-in & Security section. Click the
On button for Allow Less Secure Apps.
Note: This can also be done at Google's Less Secure Apps page. Select Turn On to enable access for less secure apps.
- In a separate browser, log into your personal Gmail account. Click the gear drop-down and select Settings. Click the Accounts and Import tab then click Add a POP3 mail account you own. A pop-up window will prompt you to enter your email address (email@example.com). Click Next Step.
- In the Password field, enter your IMAP password for UARK Gmail.
Note: See step 1 for IMAP password instructions.
- In the POP Server field, enter pop.gmail.com.
- In the Port field, enter 995.
- Uncheck "Leave a Copy of Retrieved Message on the Server."
Note: This will be set on the other account.
- Check the "Always Use a Secure Connection (SSL)" box. If you want to label mail from your UARK Gmail account, check the "Label incoming messages" box.
- Click Add Account.
- When asked if you would like to send mail as your UARK email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), select Yes or No. Click Next Step.
- Enter the information about your personal email address. You can change the display name and choose to treat as an alias. Click Next Step.
- You can choose to add another email address or click Cancel if you are done.
If you receive an error, you might be locked out of the account after too many login attempts. You will need to re-verify access:
- Log into your UARK Gmail account.
- Go to Google's Allow access to your Google account page.
- Click Continue and try again to transfer the account.
When the UARK Gmail account is deleted, mail will no longer be transferred to the personal account.