Test Scanning Guidelines and Instructions
Scanning services are available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday in Gibson Annex next to the Fine Arts building. Instructors are encouraged to drop off exams for scanning, but self-service scanning is also available.
WAIT! Before getting started, read the following guidelines for preparing Scantrons to scan. See the prepared Scantron example.
- Pearson 4521 exam forms are preferred, but 6703 forms are also allowed.
- Remove stray marks, staples, paperclips, labels or rubber bands. Do not bend, fold or mutilate.
- Exams must be completed using #2 pencils.
- Student names and ID numbers are required.
- Make sure Name, ID and Special Code fields are left-justified, starting at the far left of the answer area.
- Include an answer key with "AA KEY" in the Name field.
Note: The Name field can be changed after scanning if necessary.
The scanning software provides a series of standard reports. Reports are automatically saved to a batch file on your UARK Box file storage account.
- Student Grade Report (PDF): This report contains each student's results and images of the scantrons.
- Excel Report: This report is color-coded based on correct/incorrect answers. Additional worksheets include reports for student statistics, test statistics, learning objectives, student achievement and more.
- Blackboard File: This file can be imported to your Blackboard Learn grade book. See the TIPS article on importing scantron scores.
- ReMark Quick Stats (RQS): This information can be used to generate further reports if needed.
Self-Service Scanning Instructions
Before you start scanning:
- Stack scantrons facing the same direction. Tick marks should be in the front facing toward you with the notch in the top-right corner.
- Make sure the scanner (Insight 4ES) is turned on. The power button is on the back.
- Log into the computer using your UARK account.
- Open Box Drive and log in with your UARK account.
To scan exams:
- Open the ReMark application from the desktop. From the toolbar, click Read and make sure the Enable Imaging option is selected. Enter a single page into the scanner and scan.
- From the desktop, double-click the batch file. You will be prompted to provide the
- Instructor's UARK username (lowercase only)
- Course and test information (no spaces allowed)
(Blackboard Course ID, section number, exam number)
- Form number (1 = Pearson 4521; 2 = Pearson 6703)
- Once the ReMark software loads, place a stack of scantrons on the feed tray and press OK. When the scanner feed tray is empty, you'll be given a choice to add more scantrons or end scanning.
- Once all exams are scanned, follow the steps for the Advanced Grade screen:
- Answer Key: Define/Import Test Answer Key.
- Import answer key from Data Set (Grid) Row, 1, and then click Import Key.
- Change settings for question properties and multiple key information as needed.
- Click Save. When asked for a filename, press Ctrl+V to paste the filename from the clipboard.
- Press Enter to save. Click the Grade button.
- Reports will start to generate. When prompted to select all users, press the Next (>>) icon and click Run Report.
- Close Excel and ReMark.
If a test form is rejected, remove the form and select Continue Scanning.
Make sure there are no stray marks and that the form is not bent or folded. Fix any issues if possible and feed the form through the scanner again.
If there are issues with test results:
- Make sure the name, ID and any special codes on the form were completed correctly.
- Make sure the form is not blank.