Troubleshoot an Active Network Port
Resolution Time: 2-10 business days
If you are trying to connect to an existing port on campus that does not have an Ethernet lock installed and having difficulty, there may be a problem with the network cable that connects your device to the network. There is likely a problem with the port that will need to be resolved if:
- Windows: There is a red X over the network icon in the system tray and you receive the message “A network cable is unplugged.”
- MacOS: There is a red light next to Built-in Ethernet in the Network System Preferences.
If your network port is inactive or appears to be active with no network connectivity, create a ticket to get the issue resolved.
You’ll need the following information to fill out the ticket:
- The wall port information printed on the ethernet wall plate
- MAC Address of the computer currently plugged into the port
- Your device’s settings configured for DHCP