When a checkout item is returned late or is missing, the Student Tech Center charges fines through UAConnect. All fines are final.
Fines appear on your UAConnect account about a week after being finalized. Late fees for overdue items are $5 per hour that the item is late, up to the total cost of the item. Late fees continue to accumulate when the Student Tech Center is closed. Incurring fines equivalent to the total cost does not mean you can keep the item. Refusal to return university equipment will result in a police report of a stolen item.
If you lose an item, you will be fined the replacement cost. If you lose any equipment or you believe the item was stolen, you should contact the Student Technology Center immediately. A police report may need to be filed. Always explain the circumstances of a stolen item to the best of your ability. Include as many details as possible and any relevant evidence. Each case is different, and under some extenuating circumstances, fines may be waived.
Damaged or Missing Parts
Depending on the nature of damage to an item, you might only be fined for replacement parts cost and not the replacement cost of the item itself. If an item is checked out to you damaged or with missing pieces, return it to the Student Technology Center immediately. Items are checked for damage or missing parts upon issue, but it is your responsibility to confirm this.
If you have a case in which you feel it is justified to waive your fines you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If our lab operators have made a mistake in returning you item and it was returned on time you may receive notifications via email for overdue fines. Please remember it is your responsibility to return items on time.
Extensions for Returning Equipment
In the event that you are unable to return an item on time, you can request a 30-minute extension depending on the circumstances. You must call the Student Technology Center before the item has gone overdue. If your item is already late, you must dispute the fines by contacting email@example.com.
It is also your responsibility to know when your item is due and ensure you are available to return the item ahead of time. Poor prior planning and forgetfulness are not valid reasons for requesting an extension.
Tips for Avoiding Fines
- Ask the lab operator what the due back date and times are.
- Make a reminder for yourself of when it is due.
- Check your email for the "Item Received" email which contains the due back date and time.
- Do not leave equipment unattended in a public space.
- Check that all parts that came with your item stay together at all times.
- Be mindful of how you are handling your items.
- Do not loan out equipment to friends or family unsupervised. You are responsible if items are lost or damaged.
- Make sure you have time to return items before they are due.
- Communicate. We are willing to help you out when emergencies and unforseen events happen. There's nothing we can do if you don't tell us about it.