Students, faculty and staff sending confidential or sensitive information over email should use the Encryption feature in Outlook.
Sending Encrypted Email
- Open Outlook or log into outlook.office.com with your @uark.edu email address and password.
- Create a new message, and then click Encrypt (from the Options menu in Windows) or
Note: Mac Outlook users might need to go to the Customize Toolbar menu to drag and drop the Encryption button into the toolbar.
- To select other encryption options, click "Change permissions" at the top of the message
or click the Encrypt button down arrow in Windows:
- Confidential \ All Employees: Includes Do Not Forward restrictions and prevents non-UARK recipients from viewing.
- Do Not Forward: Prevents recipient from forwarding, printing and copying the email.
- Encrypt or Encrypt-Only (Default): Prevents recipient from saving, exporting or having Full Control permissions.
- Highly Confidential \ All Employees: Includes Do Not Forward restrictions while allowing UARK recipients to view, edit and reply.
The following Microsoft file types are automatically encrypted when attached to an encrypted email in Outlook:
Note: Outlook message files (.msg) are not encyrpted when attached to an encrypted email.
Receiving Encrypted Email
Recipients with UARK accounts in Outlook will receive encrypted messages seamlessly.
Email received in non-Outlook apps like Gmail will receive a link over email that will provide a secure way to view the encrypted message in the device's web browser.