Box is a cloud-based file sharing service available free of charge to students, faculty and staff at the University of Arkansas.
Start saving and sharing your files! Go to uark.box.com, click Continue, and log in with your UARK email address and password.
Wait! Before using Box, please read Box Data Restrictions below.
Your personal folders within your University of Arkansas Box account can be used to store personal and work files. Departments and organizations can request organizational folders for team collaborations or long-term projects.
Box Data Restrictions
Do not use your personal Box folders to store files containing:
- Social Security or driver's license numbers
- PINs for bank accounts, credit card numbers or other payment information
- Academic transcripts
- Passwords or pass phrases
- Data regulated by Export Control laws
- Any institutional data considered Highly Sensitive in the Data Classification Policy 309.4
Files and Editing
With Box Notes, you can create a Box document for quick reference. You can also open a file from Box using Office Online apps right from your web browser. Once you're done editing, simply save it back to Box.
Box also tracks the version history of any document, making it faster and easier to keep up with changes in a collaborative project.
Uploads are limited to 15GB per file.
Sharing and Collaborating
The power of Box stems from its collaboration features.
- Shared links are great for quickly sharing a document or file for a one-time task. Depending on the permissions selected, a person may not need a Box account to access a shared link.
- Inviting collaborators to join your folder allows a group team to revise one version of a file, rather than
creating multiple versions. This option is best for long-term or complex projects.
There are seven permission levels, and each collaborator needs to have a Box account.
Because you can be invited to several collaboration folders, it is important to use a consistent naming convention with your collaborators to help everyone organize their folders. For example:
- For a class within the university, use class codes in the folder name, such as: ENGL1003 Fall 2017
- For a project with outside collaborators, include "UARK": UARK Chemistry Study Fall 2017
Folder and file names within Box have a 255-character limit.
Leaving the University
Access to Box at the University of Arkansas is revoked when a UARK account is closed. When leaving the university, make sure to transfer ownership of files and switch your Box account to a personal email address.
Contact the IT Help Desk to retrieve work files owned by a user who is no longer with the university.
Box offers several support resources, including user guides and video tutorials. Visit Box University to learn more.