Departmental staff with IT administrative oversight can request a new network drop be added to a section of a campus building.
Starting October 2017: Network drops are now requested using a new procedure. Please read the information below to learn more.
To get started, create a Network Drop Request ticket. Requests that include a PO number are considered funded and will be expedited.
Alert: Adding network drops without using this request process can cause delays getting the network port patched into a switch and activated.
Activate a Network Port
If you are trying to connect to an existing network port on campus, follow these instructions:
- Plug your device into the port and check the network settings. The port is probably
not active if:
- Windows: There is a red X over the network icon in the system tray and you receive the message "A network cable is unplugged"
- Mac: There is a red light next to Built-in Ethernet in the Network System Preferences
- If your network port is inactive or appears to be active with no network connectivity, create a ticket.
- To avoid delays in activating the network port, make sure the following information
- Building and room number where network port is located
- Drop number or label of the drop's faceplate (if available)
- MAC address of computer currently plugged into the port
Once your ticket is submitted, an IT staff member will respond within two business days.